Week 5 -- Taking Risks

Week 5 Prompt: Describe a time you took a risk. How did you overcome feelings of inadequacy, fear, and/or vulnerability? What did you learn from the experience?

The biggest risk I've ever taken was transferring to UCD and into a completely new major after 3 years of undergrad at a different school. I was on a great career path studying cellular and molecular biology, and I was excelling in my classes and lab job at a highly ranked university. However, I was not happy, and I knew that what I was doing was not aligned with the lifestyle I wanted to live (in a bio job there's not really consistent hours, pay, or free time to relax and pursue hobbies). I decided to not only switch majors, but also to move across the country where I would practically start college over again. I felt vulnerable in this position, and worried that I wouldn't be 'good enough' at my new career path, but the knowledge that I chose to actively change my situation to reflect my best future has kept me secure in the fact that I made the right choice. I'm happier now than I've been in ages, and I actually have time to do the things I love! The risk was 100% worth it.

Comments

  1. Hey Tara,

    I am glad that you took a risk , and it was worth it. Many people cannot take risks because of fear. However, I believe in most cases, it is worth it to take a risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome story. I'm glad you realized that you weren't happy and needed to make a change. I agree that the risk was worth it because you are happier now! I'm curious what your new major is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear that you put your happiness first. I'm glad that risk led to reward. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its great to see that your happiness first and that even in the end you taking that risk came out with a great reward!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment