Week 4 -- Creative Roadblocks
Week 4 prompt: In what ways do you see yourself as creative? What roadblocks do you sometimes find yourself coming up against as you nurture your creativity?
When I was much younger, writing was my main creative outlet, and I would often begin writing what I thought would turn into great novels. What actually happened was that I would get writer's block after a few minutes and never get past page 3. If I go through my old journals from when I was a kid I see so many unfinished novels. I thought this meant that I wasn't creative enough, so I stopped writing. Instead, I found that my creativity flourished most in visual arts like sketching and drawing with ink. To me, this is an example of how changing your activity or mindset can help get you through a creative roadblock.
This is a great point Tara. Sometimes we get stuck in specific places but often the problem isn't at the place you're stuck but further back. Finding a different creative outlet is a great way to exercise creativity without getting frustrated.
ReplyDeletei agree that doing something, putting your hands to work can help you get through mindblocks.
ReplyDelete